Wednesday, February 11, 2009

LJ!

Lauren Johnson or "LJ" is a Junior and a member of the highly-talented Georgia Gymdogs, one of the University Of Georgia's sell-out sports. Lauren was nice enough to let me interview her for He Kexin = 14.

How did you choose to attend UGA?

LJ:
I have always wanted to be a Georgia Bulldog. I looked at several other schools, but when the coaches asked me to come here, I couldn't turn it down!


What is your typical schedule like?

LJ:
On Monday, Wednsday, and Friday I do some exercise at the gym before class. I have class at 10. On Monday and Friday, we have workouts at 1. On Wednesday we have an off day to rest and get in extra homework. I have a 3-hour Wednesday class.
On Tuesday and Thursday, I'm in class a little longer in the mornings. Gym is at 1 with team conditioning afterward.
After gym, I usually go home and shower, eat dinner, and do several hours of reading and homework. Then I find something fun to watch on TV as I fall asleep and get ready to do it again the next day!

Are you training any new vaults?

LJ:

I'm not training any new vaults right now, but I'm trying to perfect the one I'm competing. I still have some work to do!

What is your favorite gymnastics moment?

LJ:
My favorite gymnastics moment is when our team won NCAA's at home last April. We got to have a little dance party on the floor to "We are the Champions" and really had a good time. My second favorte moment was vaulting at the UGA vs. Alabama meet. It was my first time in Stegeman Coliseum after my injury, and I have never felt so much support from my teammates!

How do you balance training and schoolwork?

LJ:
It's hard to balance school and gymnastics. I make sure that I get enough sleep every night so that I can take good notes in class and have quick, efficient workouts. Then I have more time at home to work on any classwork. I make sure I have the class syllabi with me at all times so I can make sure I keep up. I study every night, even when there's not a test. That way when we're traveling or have a big meet, I don't stress about school because I've already studied.

How does God influence your gymnastics?

LJ:
God is the biggest influencing factor in my gymnastics. I try to glorify Him in everything I do. When I'm having a hard day, I think about how I should handle it in a way that will show God's love. Being a Gym Dog is something God blessed me with, so I want to praise Him in every routine and opportunity I have to compete. I chose a Christian song for vault music too, because I not only want my friends to know that I love Jesus, but I want all 10,000 people in the Coliseum to know that He's the reason why I'm here at Georgia!

And finally, what is your favorite part about being a Gymdog?

LJ:The best part of being a Gym Dog would be that I've made so many close friends! It's the most amazing experience to have 15 other girls who share the same kind of gymnastics background as I do and share the same passion to do great gymnastics. I've never felt so much support from my teammates as I do from these girls. We genuinely care about each other and want success for one another. I think we'll be friends for the rest of our lives.


Thank you so so much, Lauren!! I appreciate your time. :)

5 comments:

  1. oh, mere, (can i call you that?!) :), i hate, hate, hate twilight too! there so bad! what do you hate about them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyy. Yes, you can call me Mere. Everyone else does! LOL

    How'd ya know I hate twilight?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. im a stalker...lol, its in your info. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, lovely interview. I love how she says God is the reason she is at Georgia. Deep man deep...:)

    ReplyDelete